The Our Fair City campaign supports a fairer food system in Sheffield.
Outlined below is our Fairer Food Charter, which identifies our priorities for Sheffield’s food system, and our Fair Food Chain Standards, aimed specifically at food producers, suppliers and retailers.
FAIRER FOOD CHARTER
1. Everyone has the right to nutritious, affordable, culturally appropriate food.
2. While poverty is the root problem, rather than ‘food poverty’, urgent action is required to ensure that everyone has access to nutritious food and the resources to cook it.
3. Sheffield should produce a food plan to prioritise local produce, ensure access to quality food for all, and promote the importance of avoiding food waste at home and in business.
4. Everyone should have access to education and resources which help them to better understand where their food comes from, the importance of a balanced diet, and how to obtain and cook healthy meals. This education should start in schools.
5. Policy makers should support and value food enterprises which promote local jobs and food production, fair employment and a fair food chain.
FAIR FOOD CHAIN STANDARDS
1. We will ensure that food waste is minimised.
2. We will ensure that the city’s food banks receive any food that is deemed surplus to requirements.
3. We will ensure that our suppliers adhere to the fair food standards and pay their workers fairly.
4. We will ensure that food is produced, processed, distributed and disposed of in ways that protect the environment.
5. We will encourage the food and drinks industry to reduce the sugar and saturated fat contents of their products.